Learner Centered Activity 1. By Juan Velasque
a. What is learner centered instruction (LCI)?
Learner centered instruction is an activity where the principal actors are the students. It is an approach that focuses on students learning rather than on what the teachers is doing. It is not an especific method of teaching. It means, that students are able to solve problems, formulate questions of their own and discuss in groups to find posible solutions.
b. What is the main role of the teacher in LCI?
- Foster students learning
- Accommodates different learning styles
- Motivate students to accept responsibilities for learning
- Inspires and encourages students ownership of learning
c. Explain the 4 key principles of student centered learning.
- Learning is personalized, it means students are responsible for learning. The teacher is a guide and monitor the activities in classroom. However, if there is some difficulties for understanding, the teacher must find the appropriate methodology to involve students in correct learning.
- Learning is competency-based, talking on EFL, there are four skills that need to be developed efectively. Besides, students must master any subject completely.
- Learning is anytime and anywhere, it means that learning is not only inside of classroom. Learning is acquired ouside and inside. In fact, in a simple conversation learning is involved since students are learning from other opinions.
- Learning is ownership, it is a great responsibility from students. The teacher direct students giving directions to effective learning process but the most important is that students must research and learn new things to discuss in classroom.